Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Lesson 1 - Introduction


RECAP: 

  • Learn a few quick, easy techniques that you can use with tools and food you may already own.

  • Learn a little of the Science Stuff behind cooking to free you from recipes and gadgets.

  • Learn how to cook with fresh, healthy, food and eat less processed, boxed and bagged food.


Look familiar? You're thinking, "How can I cook in this mess?" Then you spot that one little empty spot near the sink that would be just big enough for a KFC bucket. I don't have to finish that story. 

I won't help you clean your kitchen, but I can tell you to yard sale most of the crap hogging up your counter and cabinet space. Part of my aversion to the kitchen used to be the clutter. All of us have way too many kitchen gadgets and one-use pots, pans, and utensils that we bought with all good intentions; "THIS will motivate me to cook! Look, honey, it has a special compartment for Lobster Claws!" You have trouble resealing the fish stick box properly, but you need something for lobster claws? REALLY?

Put all that in past. Box the industrial strength food processors, eight blade yogurt makers, and  twelve piece spatula sets. I'm going to show you how to make amazing, simple food with a knife, a pan, and ingredients you probably already have in your fridge or freezer.

Most of it takes about ten to twenty minutes to learn - you have twenty minutes, right? Most of it uses food that you're already eating from frozen, or that was cut up and seasoned in a factory somewhere, but we're going to use the real deal. We're going to go slow, do one thing at a time, and I'll explain everything you need to know - just pause the videos when you need more time. No one's rushing you.

None of this stuff is difficult, it's just unknown to many home cooks. When Rachael Ray says "dice the onion," I used to yell at her, "BUT HOW DO YOU DICE THE ONION!??" That's the stuff I want to show here. Once you know, you'll start to enjoy food and cooking, and you won't need me anymore. Then my ad revenue will go down and I'll have to eat Ramen noodles and freezer chicken nuggets to get by. Kind of like some of you are doing right now because you're scared of the kitchen.

And so we come full circle. 


No comments:

Post a Comment